Note: The Quotations in this article are taken mostly from the NIV Study Bible – New International Version
In Hinduism they speak of a thousand names of God. So I was not surprised that a student of our correspondence course on Jesus Christ and Bible, Dr Sujaudin from Bharuch asked me to give him the thousand names of Jesus.
“Please give me at least 100 names of Jesus,” Dr Sujaudin pleaded with me on the phone.
“Please give me one week. Let me do a little research in the encyclopedias in my library and on the internet,” I said to Dr Sujaudin on the phone. “Yes, I shall call you back after a week,” Dr Sujaudin said. On the internet Google search gave me “144 titles, names and offices of Jesus Christ in the Bible.” Here I have selected 101 names and titles of Jesus. I also give the bible text where the particular name or title appears in the Bible with the name of the book in the Bible in internationally accepted short forms followed by the chapter of the book and the verse in that order.
1. ADAM, THE LAST ADAM – St Paul in his first letter to Corinthians says, “The first man Adam became a living being, the last Adam a life-giving spirit.” (1 Cor 15, 45)
2. ADVOCATE – In the first letter of John, the author says, “We have an Advocate who speaks to the Father in our defense – Jesus Christ.” (1 Jn 2, 1)
3. ALMIGHTY – In the book of Revelation we read “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.” (Rev 1, 8)
4. ALPHA AND OMEGA – The book Revelation has several references to Alpha and Omega – the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last. First chapter verse 17 says, “I am the First and the Last.” (Rev 1, 17)
5. THE APOSTLE – The Author of the letter to Hebrew says, “fix your thoughts on Jesus the Apostle and High Priest.” (Heb 3, 1)
6. THE AUTHOR – The Letter to Hebrews says, “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and Perfecter of our faith.” (Heb 12, 2)
7. AUTHOR OF SALVATION – The letter to Hebrews says that, “It was fitting that God… should make the Author of Salvation perfect through suffering.” (Heb 2, 10)
8. ONLY BEGOTTEN SON – the one and only – St John says, “We have seen is glory, the glory of the One and Only who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.” (Jn 1, 14 & 18)
9. THE BLESSED AND ONLY RULER – St Paul in his first letter to Timothy refers to Jesus as “God, the Blessed and only Ruler, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.” (1 Tim 6, 15) The title signifies high office, great authority and might.
10. THE BRIDEGROOM – Jesus saw himself as (or compared himself to) a Bridegroom. Jesus says, as recorded by the four evangelists, more or less in the same words, “Can you make the guests of the Bridegroom fast while he is with them? But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them; in those days they will fast.” (Lk 5, 34-35)
11. THE BRANCH – Isaiah says, “In that day the Branch of the Lord will be beautiful and glorious.” (Isaiah 4, 2)
12. BREAD OF LIFE – St John quotes Jesus, “I am the Bread of life.” (Jn 6, 35)
13. CHIEF SHEPHERD – St Peter in his first letter referring to Jesus says, “When the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory.” (1 Peter 5, 4)
14. CHOSEN ONE (ELECT OF GOD) – Prophet Isaiah in one of his prophetic ‘servant song’ says, “Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight.” (Isaiah 42, 1)
15. CHRIST – Mathew, Luke and John record the Apostle Peter’s declaration of Jesus : “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” (Mat 16, 16)
16. THE HEAD OF THE CHURCH – St Paul in his letter to Ephesians says,” Christ is the Head of the Church, his body, of which he is the Saviour.” (Eph. 5, 23)
17. CONSOLATION OF ISRAEL – St Luke in his Gospel says that a man called Simeon in Jerusalem “as waiting for the Cons
olation of Israel.” (Lk 2, 25)
18. CORNER STONE (CAPSTONE) – Psalm 118 says, “The stone the builders rejected has become the capestone; the Lord has done this, and it is marvellous in our eyes.” (Psalm 118, 22)
19. COUNSELLOR – Isaiah’s is prophecy says, “For us a child is born to us! A son is given to us! He will be called, ‘Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God’.” (Is 9, 6)
20. CREATOR – St John says, “through him (Christ) all things were made, without him nothing was made that has been made.” (Jn 1, 3) St Paul also says the same things. “For, by him all things were created… all things were crea
ted by him and for him.” (Col. 1, 16)
21. DELIVERER – St Paul reminds the gentile Roman Christians that, as it is written, “the Deliverer will come from Zion.” (Rom.11, 26)
22. DOOR OF THE SHEEPFOLD – Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, I am the gate (door) for the